The world is looking at renewable energy as the future alternative energy. ECRA believes in the importance of preparing a national policy for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to elucidate its vision, policy and objectives for promoting the efforts of research centers and private sector in the development of the use of renewable energy. This will offer great benefits and give the Kingdom a pioneer role in this vital field.
The objectives of the proposed national policy are to:
- Encourage the diversification of energy sources in the Kingdom.
- Facilitate the supply of energy to remote areas and reduce its cost.
- Provide job opportunities.
- Support technical development in the Kingdom by nationalizing the manufacturing of some parts of renewable energy equipments.
- Encourage competition in renewable energy fields.
- Utilize potential economy of scale to reduce the renewable energy costs.
- Assure that rules, regulations and procedures do not act as barriers to renewable energy development.
- Create a stable and inviting investment opportunities for renewable energy.
on Wednesday 10/6/1430 A.H (3/6/2009 A.D), ECRA held a workshop to present some international experiences and policies practiced in supporting renewable energy projects.
People from related organizations (universities, ministries, energy companies and private sector) attended the workshop. The consultant and other international experts in renewable energy from Spain, Germany and Northern America presented their experience, the obstacles they faced in developing renewable energy and how they overcame these obstacles. In addition, they presented the accomplishments of their countries and the progress they achieved. Finally, the consultant presented a draft of the proposed national policy. Copies of the proposed policy were given to the attendees for their review and comments. Received distributed comments will be taken into consideration while preparing the final document.